|Welcome! Please check To-Do List to see what pages need help, who is working on what, etc.|
Artwork from Dr. Wily's Revenge.
|Name(s):||Changkey Maker, Hothead|
|Appearances:||Mega Man 2, Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Mega Man (Game Gear)|
|HP:||10 (most games)|
15 (Game Gear)
|Damage:||Mega Man 2:|
Dr. Wily's Revenge:
|Variations:||Changkey, Changkey R, Changkey Dragon|
|Similar Enemies:||100 Watton, Fire Boy|
Changkey Maker, also known as Hothead, is an enemy first appearing in Mega Man 2. It is a furnace-like robot with limbs and eyes, able to create flame-like Changkeys and chuck them from the top of its head.
In the Games
Mega Man 2
In Mega Man 2, Changkey Makers appear exclusively in Quick Man's stage, and only three are found there, all inside the same corridor. They stand in place and occasionally tilt forward to lob a Changkey at Mega Man in an arc, with a random delay between throws.
In addition to their attacks, Changkey Makers have the unique ability to illuminate the corridor they are in, immersing it in a red light while they are on the screen. If the Changkey Maker is destroyed, the room goes dark and platforms become invisible, though it will light up again as soon as a new Changkey Maker is scrolled on-screen.
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
In Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, Changkey Makers are more frequent, with many appearing in Fire Man's stage, as well as Dr. Wily stage 1 and Dr. Wily stage 2. Apart from losing their light gimmick, they are functionally similar to their original appearance, but their aim is a lot more unpredictable, and the Changkeys they throw will deflect Mega Man's shots (just as the regular Changkeys in the same game).
Their hitbox in this game becomes slightly wider while throwing, causing Mega Man to suffer contact damage from the Changkey Maker itself if he is standing too close, though they deal much less damage this way than they originally did.
Mega Man (Game Gear)
In Mega Man for the Game Gear, Changkey Makers appear in Dr. Wily stage 1, which is a near-exact copy of Quick Man's stage. They act as they did in Mega Man 2, but are more resilient, taking 15 hits to defeat.
|A robot who once used to work at festivals. Destroying it will darken the surrounding area, but that's nothing to fear.|
|HP 10||AT 08|
- Changkey (Mega Man) - A flame that can launch upwards and fall from the sky all by itself.
- Changkey R (Mega Man & Bass) - A flashier, but slower version of Changkey that is always vulnerable.
- Changkey Dragon (Mega Man 9) - A mini-boss with a body composed of Changkeys.
Some non-Changkey enemies exhibit similarities in behaviour:
- 100 Watton (Mega Man 4) - A flying lightbulb enemy that causes the stage to go dark when destroyed.
- Fire Boy (Mega Man 6) - An enemy that throws flames in a similar manner to the Changkey Maker.
- Curiously, despite Mega Man 2 featuring a fire-based Robot Master (Heat Man), no Changkey Makers appear in his stage, which lacks fire-themed enemies altogether. Only in Dr. Wily's Revenge does the enemy appear in a fire-themed stage.
- Mega Man: Official Complete Works art book, 2009.
- Mega Man 2 North American manual, 1989.