|Welcome! Please check To-Do List to see what pages need help, who is working on what, etc.
|File:Xover - Black Zero Art.png
Artwork from Rockman ✕over.
|Black Zero, ???, Nightshade Zero
|Mega Man X4, Mega Man X5, Mega Man X6, Mega Man X8, Mega Man X: Command Mission, Mega Man X DiVE
Black Zero (ブラックゼロ) is a recurring power-up for Zero in the X era. It is often a hidden upgrade that is only obtained through secret methods such as codes or specific actions, granting Zero stat enhancements.
In the Games
Mega Man X4
Black Zero debuted in Mega Man X4. It is unlocked by entering a code at the game's character select screen - if it has been input correctly, Zero will start the game with a new black color scheme. Once applied, it cannot be removed. However, it has no effect on Zero's stats. This indicates Black Zero was a leftover from the game's development when Zero was planned to have his own Ultimate Armor, simply being a color palette change to signify that its code had been entered correctly (similar to how X turns purple with his own code).
|Console: Hold R1, →, →, →, →, →, →, hold Circle, Start
PC: Hold ↑, Start
|Turns Zero's armor black, with no additional effects.
Mega Man X5
Black Zero returns in Mega Man X5, this time with some stat enhancements based on the game's Parts: when applied, Zero gains 50% maximum Weapon Energy is automatically equipped with Shock Buffer, Shot Eraser, and Virus Buster, coloring his Z-Saber violet. Further Parts can be stacked on top of these enhancements.
Black Zero can be obtained either with a code, or later in the game instead using a specific sequence of actions. Zero can enter Zero Space Stage 3: Awakening, then descend one of the vertical shafts in the middle of the stage to find a Light Capsule containing the Black Zero upgrade.
|↓, ↓, ↑, ↑, ↑, ↑, ↑, ↑, ↑, ↑, ↑
|Increases Zero's maximum Weapon Energy by 50%, and automatically applies three Parts effects:
Mega Man X6
Black Zero returns in Mega Man X6. It can only be obtained by entering a code at the title screen (due to the lack of a character select screen). Because there is no Sigma Virus or Zero Virus in this game, the Virus Buster enhancement is replaced by Saber Plus, which colors his Z-Saber turquoise instead of violet.
|L1, L1, L1, R2
|Functions identically to the Black Zero in Mega Man X5, but instead of Virus Buster it applies the Part for Saber Plus, which colors the Z-Saber's blade turquoise and increases its default slash damage by one.
Mega Man X8
Black Zero returns in Mega Man X8 with completely different effects. It may be unlocked by entering a code on the title screen, or by starting a new game from a save file that has been cleared with all of Zero's Rare Metals crafted, including the Σ Blade. Note that the code only functions on console versions of the game (including the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 re-release).
|L1, L1, R1, R1, L1, L1, L1, L1
|Doubles Zero's default attack power and doubles his Dash speed and distance, but reduces his defense by 50% in exchange.
Mega Man X: Command Mission
In Mega Man X: Command Mission, Zero can temporarily equip Black Zero as a Hyper Mode. It increases his Power, Speed, and WE recharge rate, and grants him the Vengeful Counter property so he may randomly Counter enemy attacks. It lasts for 3 turns by default.
Mega Man X DiVE
Other Game Appearances
- In Mega Man X2, a black-colored copy of Zero known as "Fake Zero" appears before the game's final boss if the player failed to collect all three of Zero's parts. This is the first appearance of Zero with a black color scheme, possibly inspiring the Black Zero upgrade.
- In Mega Man X Legacy Collection, in X Challenge's bonus battle against X and Awakened Zero in the secret 9-4, Zero will automatically equip the Black Zero upgrade if the player defeats X first. This changes his moveset to instead use Zero's Techniques from X4 to X6, including Ryuenjin, Hyouretsuzan, Kuuenzan, E-Blade, Quake Blazer, Rakukojin, Rekkoha, and Hyoroga.
- In TEPPEN, Black Zero appears as an alternate skin for Zero.
- In Zombie Cafe, Black Zero appears as an alternate skin for Zero.
- In Dragon Poker, Black Zero appears as an evolution for Zero.
- In Elemental Story, Black Zero appears as an alternate skin for Zero.
- In Shironeko Project, Black Zero appears as an alternate skin for Zero.
- In Bouken Dig Dig 2, Black Zero appears as an event character.
- In Tower of Saviors, Black Zero appears as an event character.