|Welcome! Please check To-Do List to see what pages need help, who is working on what, etc.
Artwork from Mega Man X3.
|Tunnel Rhino, Screw Masaider
|Doppler Army, Mavericks
|Mega Man X3, Mega Man Xtreme 2
|Mega Man X3: Tornado Fang
Mega Man Xtreme 2: Tornado Fang/Drill Crush
|Mega Man X3: Acid Burst
Mega Man Xtreme 2: Bomb Bee/Earth Gaizer
|Mega Man X3: Quarry Stage
Mega Man Xtreme 2: Underground Stage
Tunnel Rhino, known as Screw Masaider (スクリュー・マサイダー) in Japan, is a Maverick from the X era, appearing as one of the main bosses in Mega Man X3. He is an earth-themed Reploid based on a rhinoceros, who crushes his enemies with his speed and drills. He was formerly a miner before he was infected by the Sigma Virus in Dopple Town.
In the Games
Mega Man X3
Tunnel Rhino debuts in Mega Man X3 as one of the eight Mavericks on the Stage Select screen. He is an Energen Crystal miner who was infected by the Sigma Virus in Dopple Town, and serves as the boss of Quarry Stage. His attack pattern is very predictable, but he can deal heavy damage if the player slips up. Defeating Tunnel Rhino grants X the Tornado Fang. His weakness is the Acid Burst, from Toxic Seahorse, which briefly stuns him. A boss attack rematch with Tunnel Rhino later occurs in Doppler Stage C.
Mega Man Xtreme 2
In Mega Man Xtreme 2, Tunnel Rhino returns as a resurrected Maverick guardian of Laguz Island. He is one of the four bosses in Zero Mission, being the boss of Underground Stage. He grants X and Zero Tornado Fang and Drill Crush, respectively. He is weak to Bomb Bee and Earth Gaizer. Tunnel Rhino is later part of the boss attack in the Sigma Stage in Extreme Mode.
Other Game Appearances
- In Mega Man X Legacy Collection, Tunnel Rhino appears in X Challenge. He is fought alongside Cyber Peacock in 3-2.
- In Rockman X Math Cyclone, Tunnel Rhino appears as the boss of the addition challenge.
- In Rockman X3 Buster Battle, Tunnel Rhino can be fought an opponent.
- In TEPPEN, Tunnel Rhino appears as a Unit Card.
- In the Rockman X3 manga, Tunnel Rhino reprises his role from Mega Man X3.
- In the Archie Mega Man comic, Tunnel Rhino appears in the "Worlds Unite" arc as one of the many Mavericks resurrected in Sigma's army.
|A mining Reploid designed to extract Energy Crystals, a Reploid power source. Formerly a diligent miner, his attitude has changed since being invited to Dopple Town. He now uses his massive drills for destruction. Once his sights are set on an enemy, he unleashes a charge.
|Height: 315 cm
Weight: 280 kg
|Max Power: 4200rp
Max Speed: 8000rp
|A Reploid made to mine Energen Crystals, which serve as the main power source of Reploids. He was once a diligent craftsman, but now his mining drills cause massive destruction.
|Dashes towards X.
|Dashes faster as his body changes color. Used once he is at half health.
|Stops his Charge attack to fire his drills.
|Shoots a vertical line of three drills.
|Tornado Fang/Drill Crush
|Bomb Bee/Earth Gaizer
|A mining Reploid made to extract Energen Crystals. He was once a serious craftsman, but went Maverick due to the influence of the Sigma Virus. Appeared in Mega Man X3.
|Dashes towards the player.
|Dashes twice while scattering rocks.
|Fires two drills horizontally simultaneously.
|Shoots drills that come out of the ceiling and floor. Only in Extreme.
|Some Reploids specialize in mining, and Rhino was the best of the bunch, so before becoming a Maverick he was tasking with mining the precious Energen Crystals that power Reploids.
A diligent worker, his giant drill was his pride and joy, but he made a fatal mistake in accepting Dr. Doppler's invitation to show it off in Dopple Town. Now he uses the drill to surge through rock and earth to strike at enemies invading his territory. What weapon could stop such a huge opponent?
Behind the Scenes
- "I also did the illustrations for Beetle and Rhino. At the time, we were still applying color to cels, and it took forever to dry. This one time, I stayed late at work to finish off a piece, and just when I thought I was finally done, I noticed some color on the back of my hand. I looked at the cel and was like, 'Agh! I peeled the color off!' and had to start all over again. That was really awful." - (Shinsuke Komaki)
|Screw Masaider (スクリュー・マサイダー)
|"Screw" refers to his drill, while "Masaider" is a pun on the phrase "Masaidā!" (磨砕だ!) meaning roughly "To grind!", and "sai" (サイ) which means rhinoceros. It may also be a reference to the Maasai people of Kenya, where rhinos are found.
|Named after a rhinoceros.